Ropley Primary School was started, not in Ropley, but in the Belfry of Bishop’s Sutton Church, by William Faichen, a local Wheelwright, who taught the children to read by candlelight from the Bible.
In 1826 the Revd Samuel Maddock who was, at that time, the Vicar of Ropley and Bishop’s Sutton, persuaded William to open a Day School in Ropley and the building which was on the Petersfield Road opened on 6th May 1826, with William as the first Headmaster.
The school, as it grew, needed more space and moved to it’s current site in May 1869 where the building was dedicated to Robert Maddock, son of Samuel Maddock, who had died in India.
Over its long history, which is still celebrated at the end of May each year on Founders Day, the school has maintained strong links with St Peter’s Church and two members of the Church community are elected as Foundation Governors to serve on the Governing body of the School. At the present time Ken Ingle and Norma Day hold these positions, with the Vicar acting in an ex officio role.
Either the Vicar or a member of the Church has led the Friday Worship in the school for many years and still continue to do so, thus nurturing the strong links with the school, the staff and the children. Before the fire regular services, organised by the school, were held in St Peter’s and they are already holding services in the current place of worship, Ropley Parish Hall.